The Botanical Garden Münster in 1900 and today. It was established from 1803 on by the physician and botanist Franz Wernekinck and created as a teaching and research institution.
During the Second World War the garden was severely damaged. All greenhouses were destroyed. The institute building was destroyed in 1944 by fire bombs.
With the rapid reconstruction, the greenhouses were already rebuilt in 1949. In 1952, the garden was back in pre-war-like state. Since then he has been constantly expanded and new areas were added.