View west into California Street from the intersection with Kearny Street. A cable car is approaching from the front, and a street car on the left. On the other side of the street one can see California House, with ads for Oysters. Left to it stands the only building remaining from 1893, Old St. Mary's Cathedral. It was used from 1854 to 1891 as the principal Catholic church, after which it became replaced by Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Assumption (located in a different district). This is why it is today called "Old" St. Mary's. Further to the left nowadays stands the pagoda-topped "Sing Chong Building" of Chinatown, which was built after the earthquake of 1906. Most of the other buildings have been replaced by big office buildings, being adjacent to the Financial District.
Before picture: Courtesy of opensfhistory.org (picture no.: wnp14.4017). Photographer unknown