Rue de la Harpe, in the 5th arrondissement near the Sorbonne, is one of the oldest streets in Paris, dating back to Gallo-Roman times. The name, dating to the 13th century, is due to a figurehead in the street.The street was filled with printers and bookmakers until the early 20th century. Speculatively, in the building in the left foreground could have been located a company specialized in the printing of programs for variety theatre. In the front right there was a hotel, today a supermarket (if the horse-drawn carriage in the front right is a taxi for a visitor of the hotel?).
Since nowadays the street is very popular with tourists, there are almost only snack bars, bars and tourist shops.
Foto from Charles Marville, between 1865 and 1869.