Originally the home of the Jacob Y. Cottrell family, in 1922 the house was donated by Alma E. Bradbury (daughter of J Y Cottrell) to Dr. Eugene Tapley for use as a hospital. The 25-bed Bradbury Memorial Hospital opened on Christmas Day 1922. It featured 25 beds, an elevator, x-ray machine, radium for treatments and a separate sterilizing room. For the next twenty years, it was in competition with Waldo County General Hospital. Bradbury Memorial closed in 1960 due to strong competition from WCGH and a lack of a sprinkler system.