View of Place Louis XII at the beginning of the 20th century. The square was created in 1825 by the demolition of several blocks. A hall for the vegetable market and a theater (here on the left of the fountain) were built. The square was bombed in 1940 and rebuilt after the war without the hall and the theater, as well as the houses directly adjacent to the fountain.The fountain was built in the 15th century under the rule of Louis XII. It replaced the predecessor version from the 13th century. It bears the city's coat of arms and ornaments typical of the Gothic style.