The Linhart Square is the old town center of Radovljica. The houses were mostly built between the 16th and 18th century.
The square is named after Anton Tomaž Linhart, Slovenia's first playwright, who was born in one of the square's houses. Linhart is also considered the father of Slovene historiography: he was the first historian to write of all Slovenes as a unit rather than focusing on single historical provinces. He also set the foundations of Slovene ethnography.
The water well, which can be seen in the old photo, was built in 1844 and renovated in 1888.
In 1908, a memorial in the shape of a well dedicated to Josepina Hočevar replaced the well. Hočevar was a Slovene entrepreneur and patron, born in 1824 in Radovljica. She and her sister Dralka donated a house to teachers in Radovljica and set up a fund to support students from Radovljica, earning her the title of an honorary citizen of Radovljica. The memorial was designed by Radovljica's architect Janez Vurnik.
The old photo can be found in the Radovljica Digital Archive (Digitalni arhiv Radovljice).
Nice one too!