The house at Little River is believed to have been built as a store in 1796 by James Nesmith. Nesmith also operated a tidewater grist mill halfway between the present Route 1 bridge and the Belfast Water District pumping station. The store was sold to Capt. Samuel Bird in 1801 and he used the one-story building as a dwelling house. Other owners have included Dr. Arthur Hartley who purchased the building in 1924 and converted it to a two-story dwelling. In 1970 the house was modernized and reopened as the Little River Inn and operated for a short time.