View of the market square in Haltern with the town hall, after 1907 and 2020.The town hall was built in the years 1575-1577 in Gothic style with Renaissance gables and an archway. During the WW2, the city of Haltern suffered severe damage, including the town hall. It was rebuilt in a simplified form between 1948 and 1952. In 1987 the town hall moved to a new building next to the Kardinal-van-Galen Park; after a renovation in the 90s, the registry office and tourist information moved into the historic town hall. It has been listed as a monument since 1983.
Then as now, Haltern's coat of arms can be found on the side facing the market. In 1989, a carillon was installed to mark the city's 700th birthday.