5/5

Waisenhausring - Blick auf Stadtmauerreste

Waisenhausring - view of the remains of the city wall

© Gottfried Riehm
DEU Halle

Fetching images...
tomil_de published on 07/14/2020 7:27 p.m.:
tomil_de

Am Ende des 13. Jahrhunderts war Halle von einer geschlossenen Stadtmauer umgeben. Diese war geprägt von etwa 40 Wehr- und Wachtürmen sowie sechs Stadttoren (Ulrichstor, Steintor, Galgtor, Rannisches Tor, Moritztor, Klaustor).
Trotz der Bemühungen Karl Friedrich Schinkels (1781 – 1841) um den Erhalt der Stadtmauer, wurden unter dem Bürgermeister Karl Ferdinand Mellin (1780 – 1855) die Befestigungsanlagen zwischen 1815 und 1874 sukzessive abgetragen und durch die Anlage von Ringstraßen und deren Bebauung ersetzt. Nur wenige Reste, wie hier am Waisenhausring, am Hallorenring und der Leipziger Turm haben die Zeit überdauert.
Der etwa 50 Meter lange Mauerrest hat eine Höhe von ca. sieben Metern.
Außerdem hat sich hier ein mächtiger Schalenturm erhalten. Das im 18. Jahrhundert errichtete und die Mauer überbauende Fachwerkhaus mit drei Geschossen, deutet darauf hin, dass die Funktion der Stadtbefestigung bereits damals wesentlich an Bedeutung verloren hatte.
Der längst erloschene, hier noch rauchende Schornstein gehörte zu dem Kohle-Produktions- und Speditionsgeschäft Klinkhardt & Schreiber.
______________________________________________
Unter folgendem Link finden Sie die Foto-Komposition als Teil des Foto-Projektes "Halle und seine Universität - Eine Zeitreise der besonderen Art"
http://tomil.de/fotoshopwp/stadtmauer/
-
Übersicht zum Foto-Projekt:
http://tomil.de/fotoshopwp/ausstellungen/

At the end of the 13th century, Halle was surrounded by a closed city wall. This was characterized by around 40 defense and watchtowers as well as six city gates (Ulrichstor, Steintor, Galgtor, Rannisches Tor, Moritztor, Klaustor).
Despite the efforts of Karl Friedrich Schinkel (1781 - 1841) to preserve the city wall, the fortifications were gradually demolished between 1815 and 1874 under Mayor Karl Ferdinand Mellin (1780 - 1855) and replaced by the construction of ring roads and their development. Only a few remains, like here on Waisenhausring, Hallorenring and the Leipzig Tower, have stood the test of time.
The remainder of the wall is around 50 meters long and around seven meters high.
In addition, a mighty shell tower has been preserved here. The half-timbered house with three storeys built in the 18th century and building over the wall indicates that the function of the city fortifications had already lost much of its importance at that time.
The long-extinguished chimney, which is still smoking here, belonged to the coal production and shipping company Klinkhardt & Schreiber.
______________________________________________
Under the following link you can find the photo composition as part of the photo project "Halle and its University - A special kind of time travel"
http://tomil.de/fotoshopwp/stadtmauer/
-
Overview of the photo project:
http://tomil.de/fotoshopwp/ausstellungen/

Nearby before-and-after pictures


Fetching images...