The Île de la Cité with the Notre Dame around 1850, as seen from the Quai de la Tournelle. The picture was taken before the restoration of Notre Dame by Viollet-Le-Duc. Note that the 90 m high spire is still missing. In addition, some houses can be seen on the back of the cathedral, which are now replaced by gardens. To the left was the Hôtel Dieu, hospital founded in the 7th century, which was demolished during urban development measures of Baron Haussman.