Finished in time for the Exposition Universelle, a new station was opened on July 14 1900 at the Seine street Quai d'Orsay. Until the Second World War, here ran traffic with cities in southwest France (hence he was also called Gare d'Orléans). After the war, the station was decommissioned.
In the 70s, the President d'Estaing successfully advocated for turning the magnificent building into a museum instead of its demolishment. The interior of the former station was thus converted into an exhibition hall, where since then art of the French Romantic until the end of Impressionism is presented. With works by prominent artists such as Paul Cézanne, Vincent van Gogh, Claude Monet and many more, the Musée d'Orsay is today one of the major attractions in Paris.