The statue of the Venus de Milo in 1940 during a visit of General Field Marshal v. Rundstedt and other German occupiers in the Louvre in Paris, and in 2022.
The Venus of Milo is a sculpture of the goddess Aphrodite and represents one of the most famous examples of Hellenistic art. It was discovered in 1820 on the island of Milos in the vicinity of the ruins of an ancient theater and was brought by the French to the Louvre in Paris, where it still resides today.With the outbreak of World War II in 1939, many art treasures were moved from the capital to regions where they were safe from bombardment, and often replaced with plaster copies, as was the Venus de Milo. The Louvre was pretty much emptied during this period. Nevertheless, it was reopened in September 1940 by the German occupiers, who could often only view copies. Thus the statue in the old photo is probably just the Venus copy (slight differences can also be seen in the before and after comparison).Most of the works could not return to the Louvre until 1947.