Formerly, in the location of the present palace stood a Baroque palace built at the turn of the eighteen-thirties and the eighteen-forties, attributed to the architect Jan Zygmunt Deybel, who belonged to the castellans of Kraków under Stanisław Poniatowski, father of King Stanisław August Poniatowski. It was here that Stanisław August learnt he was elected monarch of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. The palace changed hands several times, in 1843 it became property of Seweryn Uruski, the marshal of the nobility of the Warsaw governorate, a secret counselor, and the mayor of the Imperial Court. Uruski chose to demolish the palace to make way for a new building.
The project was commissioned by architect Andrzej Gołoński, who gave the new building its Renaissance architectural style. The construction work lasted from 1844 to 1847. In the years 1893-1895 the palace was renovated under the direction of Józef Huss, who built a new outhouse to its north. The palace was burned down during the Warsaw Uprising. After 1947, the palace became property of the University of Warsaw. The rebuilt palace (1948-1951) was modified, namely without an entrance gate to its north. Presently, the palace houses the Faculty of Geography and Regional Studies of the University of Warsaw.