South side of the Aachen Town Hall at Katschhof at the end of World War II.
The town hall is one of the most important buildings in the historic center of Aachen. It was repeatedly rebuilt and expanded over many centuries. The oldest part of the monument is the Granusturm from the time of Charlemagne.
During World War II, the town hall suffered badly from several bombing raids. On 14 July 1943, the roof and both City Hall towers burned out, the steel skeletons of the tower domes bent by the heat dominated the appearance of the town hall for a few years.Rebuilding followed in the 50s; last the two tower caps were finished in 1978.
Image with kind permission of Stadtarchiv Aachen.