10 years before the Eiffel Tower, the Palais du Trocadero was built on the hills of Chaillot for the Universal Exhibition of 1878. It was named in honor of the Battle of Trocadero and designed accordingly in neomaurisch-Byzantine style. After that, it housed an architectural and an anthropological museum.In 1937, the main building was demolished, so that only the side wings of the palace remained that formed the foundations for the Palais de Chaillot. Only the name of the metro station still reminds the former palace. The new open space is today's most famous view of the Eiffel Tower.
The photo was taken in the course of a project of the wealthy banker Albert Kahn, who was producing about 70000 color photographs using the new Autochrome method from 1908-1930.
(Image source: Stéphane Passet © Musée Albert-Kahn - Département des Hauts-de-Seine)